Old November 16th 03, 12:49 AM
Tom S.

"Snowbird" wrote in message
om...
Hopefully I've done that.

Yes...I was thinking "stall". Haven't done spins in YEARS!!

It does...but compare the apparent spin accident numbers for Cirrus vs
Bonanza (the more directly comparable bird is the F33A) and it's

amazing. I
saw about four or five for Cirrus, vs. 1 for the F33, even though the

F33
has about twenty time the number of SR-22's in the air.

The intent to make the SR-22 more spin resistant does not seem to have

been
successful.

This may prove true, I don't know. But it seems to me it might also
have to do with the relative newness of the SR-22 and pilots exploring
the envelope of their new bird more aggressively, vs. more time in the
F33A spent high-speed cruisin'. You've read the accident reports;
does this seem plausible?

Considering the Cirrus production numbers are only about three years old, it
may be a new learning experience, both for individual pilots, as well as
pilots in general, learning the quirks of the new design.

If you do a search in the NTSB database on "Cirrus", there's an astonishing
number of accidents in just the last three years (including a seemingly high
number of fatals) when considering the number of SR-20/22's in the fleet.

I have no desire to play test pilot, so I'll stick with the "known quantity"
when I buy (right after Jan. 1).