Old September 13th 03, 08:39 AM
Ken Sandyeggo

"Kris Kortokrax" wrote in message ...
wrote in message

So now you have me curious. Hypothetically speaking. If a guy, for
whatever reason, is a really good helicopter pilot but does not have a
license, who then subsequently gets a US fixed wing private pilot
license, can he legally fly a helicopter?

Per 61.31(k)(2)(iii), yes, but only if it is an experimental aircraft, and
if the DAR or inspector who signs the airworthiness certificate neglects to
place a limitation in the aircraft's paperwork that would require category &
class ratings on the pilot's certificate.

Kris

61.31 (k) Exceptions.
(2) The rating limitations of this section do not apply to -
(iii) The holder of a pilot certificate when operating an aircraft under the
authority of an experimental or provisional aircraft type certificate;

Just a point of curiousity. Accepting payment for flight instruction
in an experimental has been illegal unless it was a gyro with the PRA
exemption. I believe the rules have changed recently, but how did
Rotorway get away with giving lessons at their factory for all those
years in experimental helicopters? Did they say it was "free" if you
bought and built a kit?

Kris, what you posted is correct, but many people interpret that when
the OLs say something about proper category and class ratings in an
experimental rotorcraft's OLs, that it just means a proper rating
period, as in a fixed-wing or other rating requiring a medical. They
never say specifically what type of rating as far as I know.

This is something that will be argued until the end of the world it
seems, as a straight answer cannot usually be gotten from the FAA that
isn't contradicted by some other FAA poobah.

Ken J. - Sandy A. Gowe