Old April 22nd 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Visibility is considered unrestricted if greater than 6 miles???

"Peter R." wrote in message

Flying from Buffalo, NY, to Reading, PA, this afternoon, I call up
Cleveland Flight Watch to report a weather pirep.

"Visibility is restricted in haze to about one five miles," I include.

"45 Whisky," the voice responds, "visibility is considered unrestricted if
it is greater than six miles so I am going to put unrestricted."

"Huh?" I let slip out, "Really?"

"Yes, really," he answers.

If this is indeed true, I have been doing it wrong for almost 1,000 hours
now. Too late tonight for me to go digging through the AIM, but is this
really true?

Imagine being VFR through typical New England haze of 7 miles and being
told by Fligh****ch that pireps all over the region are reporting
unrestricted visibility.

That just doesn't seem right.

It isn't right. Perhaps you misunderstood him or perhaps he didn't explain
it well. If visibility is 7 miles or more the restriction to visibility is
not included in the report. If haze is reducing the visibility to 6 miles,
for example, the visibility is reported as 6 miles in haze If haze is
reducing the visibility to 7 miles the visibility is reported as 7 miles
with no mention of what is limiting visibility..