Old February 3rd 14, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrew Brayer

Default IGC flight replay question

As a result of the Appalachian ridge seminar, I started playing with IGC flight replay, to learn by watching other pilots' flights. I went to the SSA page to download flight traces from previous contests, and I managed to watch a few flights with it. I have a question though:

When I downloaded the day's traces for a field of pilots from a race, it downloaded the flights in IGC replay format, and i was unable to tell whose file was whose. i did see the contest ID on the file names for CAI users, but for ClearNav files i couldn't figure out which flight belonged to which pilot. anyone know how to determine this?

if you are not familiar with IGC flight replay, i already recommend checking it out, and i've only been messing with it for a few minutes. It gives you a "cockpit" view of the route the pilot used, the speeds, altitudes, and vario readings amongst other things. what's great, especially for ridge soaring, is that it uses google earth, so you can become familiar with what transitions, checkpoints, terrain, and gaps look like, as well as a *general* idea of the number and slope of field in a particular area.

also, it's free. you do need google earth to run the viewer.

it can be found he

http://ywtw.de/igcsimen.html