Old February 3rd 14, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default IGC flight replay question

On Monday, February 3, 2014 12:16:32 PM UTC-5, Andrew Brayer wrote:
As a result of the Appalachian ridge seminar, I started playing with IGC flight replay, to learn by watching other pilots' flights. I went to the SSA page to download flight traces from previous contests, and I managed to watch a few flights with it. I have a question though:

When I downloaded the day's traces for a field of pilots from a race, it downloaded the flights in IGC replay format, and i was unable to tell whose file was whose. i did see the contest ID on the file names for CAI users, but for ClearNav files i couldn't figure out which flight belonged to which pilot. anyone know how to determine this?

if you are not familiar with IGC flight replay, i already recommend checking it out, and i've only been messing with it for a few minutes. It gives you a "cockpit" view of the route the pilot used, the speeds, altitudes, and vario readings amongst other things. what's great, especially for ridge soaring, is that it uses google earth, so you can become familiar with what transitions, checkpoints, terrain, and gaps look like, as well as a *general* idea of the number and slope of field in a particular area.

also, it's free. you do need google earth to run the viewer.

it can be found he

http://ywtw.de/igcsimen.html

Hi Andy,

if you open an IGC file with a text editor (e.g. notepad) the identifying
info is listed at the top of the file, e.g.:

AFLA8NV
HFDTE310713
HFFXA500
HFPLTPilotincharge:Matt McKrell
HPCM2Crew2:
HFGTYGliderType:
HFGIDGliderID:N196H
HFDTM100GPSDatum:WGS84
HFCCLCompetitionClass:
HFCIDCompetitionID:6H
HFRFWFirmwareVersion:3.00
HFRHWHardwareVersion:1.0
HFFTYFRType:PowerFLARM-IGC
HFGPSType:u-blox NEO-6Q
HFPRSPressAltSensor:MEAS MS5607

Once you figure out who goes with which file, write down the 3 character
serial number of the flight recorder encoded in the filename. For the 8.3
short name, that's positions 5-7. For the 21.3 long name version, it's the
5th group in the name (positions 16-18). That will always remain the same for
the pilot in a contest unless they have to rely on a backup recorder.

Matt