Old October 20th 18, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default Cheaper tows?

On Saturday, October 20, 2018 at 2:27:01 PM UTC-7, AS wrote:
Towing behind a turbine would be like a cat shot.

Maybe...

Probably the same angle, but LOTS faster than a winch!

Doubtful... One can easily climb at 3-4,000fpm in a winch launch. Can that tug do that even w/o a glider attached to it?

In the latest version in skydiving configuration, that NZ ag plane takes 17 jumpers to 12000 ft in 10 minutes, throws them out, and gets back on the ground in 15 minutes, all up.

I imagine it would do 3000 FPM empty. And what do 17 parachutists weigh, with gear? Probably 1500 kg 3300 lb I guess. It wouldn't notice a single set glider much.

http://diverdriver.com/pac-750xl/