Old July 22nd 04, 11:58 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 04:07:21 GMT, Mike Adams
wrote:

What's the latest thinking on the GNS-430 vs. the CNX80? I'm planning a
panel upgrade and have read all the magazine articles, including the
comparison in Aviation Consumer, but it would be interesting to hear from
some actual users on how they compare. It seems the general impression is
that the CNX80 is more capable (WAAS, airways in the database, etc.), but
may be a little harder to use for the VFR and light IFR user. Is it really
too "heavy duty" for casual use? Is it worth the extra $2 to $3K?

Thanks,
Mike

I recently made the decision to go with the CNX80. I've not compared it
directly with the 430/530. But having the airways in the DB means you can
just input the FP the same way that ATC reads it to you. That is very
handy.

You are going to have a significant learning curve no matter what unit you
purchase. It's very different from VOR navigation; and programming the box
on the fly for changes in clearances is not always intuitive. But that's
true for all of the boxes. They each have their quirks.

The CNX80 is certified under TSO146 vs TSO129 for the 430. That means it
qualifies for sole source navigation.

Finally, I'm hoping that someday my local airport will have VNAV or LPV
approaches. Without a (estimated) $1500 upgrade on the 430, (which puts it
into the same price as the CNX80), I would not have been able to take
advantage of that.