Old July 20th 18, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Default AK-X swept wing sailplane

On Friday, July 20, 2018 at 6:07:55 AM UTC-5, AS wrote:

Here is another interesting AKAFLIEG project - this one is out of Stuttgart:
http://www.uni-stuttgart.de/akaflieg...uelle-projekt/
They are developing a 150HP Diesel powered tow-capable motorglider to get gliders with ever increasing MTOWs into the sky.

Uli
'AS'

Maybe the bing translation isn't the greatest, but it is interesting to me that a country that does a significant amount of winch launching is looking to develop a towplane because "the winch can't meet all of our wants" when the country that uses primarily towplanes is heading towards doing more winching because "towplanes are too expensive".

I do like that project, though. Diesel to keep fuel cost and availability. Hopefully water cooled to reduce shock cooling issues. Hoping for big dive brakes to make descents much more rapid with airspeed kept low. With that much glass overhead, I wonder if they are considering some sort of airconditioning? Interesting choice on the airfoil section.

Oh, and my read of the spec sheet says they are looking at 180 HP. Even though in the title of the article, they say 155PS.

Good project, guys! Looking forward to seeing your results!

Steve Leonard