Thread: Tinted canopies
View Single Post
Old September 15th 18, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Tinted canopies

The above information was copied from Great Lakes Aero Plastics website. They manufacture replacement glass for many light aircraft and are the OEM supplier for Cirrus Aircraft. A couple of years ago I replaced the green tinted glass in my 172 with Great Lakes Solar Control green tinted glass. Immediately I noticed a difference in cabin temperature when climbing back into the airplane after a meal during our $100 hamburger runs. The airplane didn’t feel like an oven anymore.

I remember seeing ads in Soaring magazine some time ago where some outfit was marketing glider canopies with UV protection. Given the exposure to UV that you would experience sitting under that canopy, I would think that UV protection would be highly desirable if you can get it.

My Dad did a lot more soaring than I ever did. He did a fair amount of high altitude work, wave flights and four to five hour duration flights. While he was never one to go around without a shirt on, he often flew wearing thin shirts during the summer months. I mention this because he contracted Melanoma in the center of his chest and succumbed to it a few years later. He did a lot of powered flight as well, from 1942 to 2015, when he died.

I’ve read somewhere that the incidence of skin cancer among the pilot population is something like 50% greater than the general population. I believe this topic merits consideration.

As for the original question, I don’t believe that the shade of tint makes much difference. You need to get some UV protection in your glass for whatever color tint you select.