Old June 9th 18, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Towplane-Baron accident

On Tuesday, June 5, 2018 at 7:53:01 PM UTC-7, John Foster wrote:
A question that has come to mind that I haven't seen discussed yet is one of visibility.
How is a civilian airport even allowed to operate where two intersecting runways are in
place where you can't see one from the other? I'm no expert here, but that just sounds
like a disaster waiting to happen (which it did, in this case).

I would wager that a high percentage of airports with intersecting runways are like this.
At my airport, Inyokern (http://www.airnav.com/airport/KIYK), if one is at the departure end of 20, neither end of 33/15 is visible. One due to hangars, the other due to brush. We can see aircraft on approach, but not on the ground.

Many airports have a hump in the center of the runway, so one can't see the other end. In calm wind conditions it's possible to have two aircraft arriving/departing in opposite directions. Just gotta do the best to maintain situation awareness, and be prepared for anything.

Tom