Old June 14th 18, 08:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

Default New low budget two seater

On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 1:35:01 AM UTC-6, Tom wrote:
Hi!
We are trying to get new two seater from various funds for our club. Most of the funds force to buy new glider.
Can you please help us a little bit with market research and suggest low budget two seater?
Thank you all!

This is of interest to me too. Here in the USA there don't seem to be many "affordable" options. If you are looking at a glider under $30,000, then about the only option is the ever-aging fleet of Schweizer 2-33 gliders, which have quite low performance. Even then, if you can find one for sale, it will still run you around $15,000. You may get lucky and find a glass ship in fair to poor condition for $30,000, but otherwise you are most likely looking at a used Grob 103 in the $45,000 range. It seems anything else is upwards of $75,000 for a used glider. And you won't get anything new for under $100,000.

There is a small group of us in MT that are looking to start a new glider club, but acquiring a club glider (two-seater) with a very small budget is something that is a real hurdle to climb. There just aren't a lot of good options here in the US. I really wish someone here would design and build a good tough and affordable training glider that could step in the gap that the ever shrinking fleet of 2-33s is leaving.