Old September 21st 04, 01:08 AM
Jay Honeck

Most of us just "ride the wave." It took me a couple of trips and
some
hangar flying with an old timer to get the idea. If you're VFR, why worry
about going uphill for a while as long as its free.

Well, if I had been at 9500 or lower, I'd have done just that, probably.
But at 10.5 or 11.5, we're already close to an altitude where oxygen would
be good to have (I know this flat-lander was awfully tired after spending an
entire workday above 11,000 feet), and I didn't want to go any higher.

I thought about riding the downdrafts down, but I didn't know where they
would stop! And that cumulo-granite sure looked hard...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA