Old March 15th 10, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Myname

Default KJZI (Charleston Executive, S.C.) ILS RWY 9 DME Required

" wrote in news:c81d3614-8898-4f3d-91d0-
:

I was taught dive and drive to MDA and no
lower until missed.

What if you are going into a short runway? A lot of non-precision approaches
have the MAP at the runway end. If you see the runway enviroment before the
MAP, wouldn't it be safer to descend below the MDA to make a normal landing,
rather than landing halfway down the runway? Depending on runway length and
aircraft type, it might not even be possible to land if you stay at MDA all
the way to the MAP.

Don't get me wrong. I don't know your aircraft or the runways you land at.
What you are doing is safe and legal; I just wanted to give an example of why
you might want to go below MDA in certain situations.