Old November 2nd 11, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Powering Mio In The Cockpit

Why are my posts red (color, at least on my laptop)?

Thanks, Paul - I did not consider looking up the specs, which I will do.

Dave, I read in the 302 manual about the 0.9A internal fusing in the 302.

The cigarette lighter power cord that comes with the Mio is terminated with
a mini USB connector so there should be no power/data issues. The data
lines are not connected in this case.

I will try to find the power requirements of the Mio online. I opened it up
and it has a small (physically) battery so I suspect its power needs aren't
too big.

I could wire a 12v power cord into the main bus of the glider, but that's
large and there's not a lot of room inside the LAK's panel. Besides, simply
plugging in is so much easier!

I'll report back what (if anything) I find.

"Paul Remde" wrote in message
Hi,

I stand corrected.

Paul Remde

"ZL" wrote in message
m...
The 302 manual (pg 25) says pin 4 of the RJ11 is
"+5V = Device power – fuse-limited to 0.9 Amp"

pin 6 and 8 of the DB-9 connector are
"+5 volt power from 302 to connected device; fuse-limited to 0.9 Amp"

I've used the DB-9 connector on my 302 to provide +5V power to an iPAQ
for 7 years now. Cambridge and others have sold connectors for that
purpose for a long time. I also have a 303 hooked up to the RJ11 plug.

Manual is available at the Cambridge website.

-Dave

On 11/1/2011 6:33 PM, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi Dan,

That is a very bad idea! The RJ connector on the back of the 302 is for
connection to the 303 LCD display. The 303 is a low voltage device. Your
Mio is not. I'm not certain, but I fear you will fry something in the
302.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

"Dan Marotta" wrote in message
While I had my panel apart the other day, I noticed the RJ jack in the
back of the 302. Since I had half a Cambridge cable, I plugged it in,
powered up, and measured voltage across the red and black leads - 5v!

I took a standard USB cable that fits the Mio, cut it, and measured
the red and black leads - again, 5v! Tomorrow, I'll connect the two
cables together and run the Mio of the ship's batteries.

Dan