Old November 28th 06, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roy N5804F

Default Instrument Student Pilot Filing IFR

Well thanks to all for the input so far.
The consensus seems to be that an instrument student cannot file an IFR plan
in his own name.
The basis of that opinion seems to hinge on who is PIC.
I am not sure, but I think that electronic filing via AOPA flight planner
would not give you any opportunity to use other than your own name ?
So maybe all filing would have to be done via the telephone or radio.

Roy

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
ups.com...
Technically the name on the flight plan must be that of the PIC, which
in this case is the CFII. However, I doubt that anyone would care whose
name is on the flight plan as long as there is a qualified PIC in the
cockpit. Just the same as ATC does not care what you use for navigation
as long as you fly your clearance. The only time a question would arise
is in case of an accident or emergency. In those cases it would not
matter whose name was on the flight plan. The presumed PIC will be at
fault. In the case of a dual flight, the CFI is the presumed PIC even
if he was not actively instructing.

Roy N5804F wrote:
Is it legal for a non-instrument rated pilot to file IFR in his own name
in
order to undergo instrument training while accompanied by his CFII ?
In other words.
Who should file IFR for a training instrument flight ? The student or the
CFII ?

Thanks for input

--
Roy