Old January 10th 08, 11:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cats

Default Club Glider Hangar?

On Jan 10, 10:43*am, "noel.wade" wrote:
That hanger works incredibly well. *If the K21s had to be rigged &

One "problem" we have in building a hangar is the size of our fleet
(currently 10 gliders and 3 tow-planes). *However, most of these are
metal (2 L-13s, 2 L-23s, a 1-36, and a 1-34) and so they don't
necessarily need a hangar.

But our L-33, Astir, and Apis certainly could stand to be hangared.
Also, if we decide to trim the fleet and/or have a glass trainer or
two then we could make do with a reasonable-sized hangar (and possibly
derive a lot of value from it).

The idea of building a long-enough hangar row to rent out spaces is an
intriguing one, too...

AFAIK over half the gliders in the SGC hanger are privately owned -
all the way down one side and a couple of bays in the other side, plus
the Walking on Air K21 is in it as is the EUGC K21. Over half the
money was private money. The deal was that in putting up money to
build people were paying x years advance rental on their bay - after
that time they will pay per year.

So look at your private fleet. How many are plastic? How many owners
really hate rigging and derigging? How many are getting too old to do
so, or have physical problems that make it difficult, or want to fly
when it's hard to find bodies to help rig/derig? And even though the
metal planes & gliders *could* live outside, are there benfits to
keeping them in a hanger, or having a hanger bay or two available?

Apparently the design can be extended later as well, but obviously the
cost per bay gets lower as more bays are built.