Old March 29th 10, 11:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Flaps_50!

Default Different standards ?

On Mar 29, 6:48*pm, "FMO" wrote:
So... I am attempting to join a small club (20 people) that share two
Archers. They had two open slots so on Wednesday I was scheduled to take a
checkride with the clubs CFI, I thought as my BFR is due in 2 months that we
could combine both the BFR and the club checkout into one flight

So ... off we go flying, slow flight, stalls, steep turns sim emergency
landings etc, all was good. *Then it was time for some landings, we had a
good 30degree 12kt crosswind and we did a few t&g

After shutdown, the CFI said that he would not sign off the review because
my crosswind landings were bad. *Disappointed for about 15 mins, then I
called my local FBO instructor who was working that day, I walked over to
the FBO, *the instructor and I jumped into the FBO's rental archer and I
managed 4 good x-wind landings, same airport, same cross winds.

Sorry to hear that. Just a few thoughts:
A BFR is not just a test but a review and also an opportunity to
learn. On my recent BFR I learnt several new ideas for improving my
flying that I now want to use/exploit. You should have asked him what
was wrong and what you could do to improve. It may be that he has
really high standards and doesn't want to hear even a chirp or see any
sideways drift at all. Maybe you cross controlled the approach
instead of crabbing (or vice versa) and he doesn't like that method?
How long did you keep the downwind wheel off and did you increase
aileron as you slowed? Without asking him what he expects of a PPL you
have no idea what to work on. I would have expected him to give some
comments on your first T/G and give you the benefit of proving you can
do it properly. On the other hand it might be that several areas of
the BFR were deficient and he just stated the one that he thought just
brought you below muster (did you tell him what the cross wind
component was likely to be after listening to the AWIB/ATIS -what
flaps did you select and why?). But it may be that being a CFI is the
only 'respectable' part of his life and he milks it. Go back and ask
him for a lesson so that you can improve to 'club' standards... I
don't think the BFR has to be all done in one session and if only one
bit is problematic that's all you have to redo/relearn. Talk to the
other club members and see what they are like -a club is also supposed
to be social ...

Good luck