Old March 30th 10, 06:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

Default Different standards ?

On Mar 29, 11:09Â*am, ♥Ari ♥ wrote:
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 22:48:47 -0700, FMO wrote:
So... I am attempting to join a small club (20 people) that share two
Archers. They had two open slots so on Wednesday I was scheduled to take a
checkride with the clubs CFI, I thought as my BFR is due in 2 months that we
could combine both the BFR and the club checkout into one flight

So ... off we go flying, slow flight, stalls, steep turns sim emergency
landings etc, all was good. Â*Then it was time for some landings, we had a
good 30degree 12kt crosswind and we did a few t&g

After shutdown, the CFI said that he would not sign off the review because
my crosswind landings were bad. Â*Disappointed for about 15 mins, then I
called my local FBO instructor who was working that day, I walked over to
the FBO, Â*the instructor and I jumped into the FBO's rental archer and I
managed 4 good x-wind landings, same airport, same cross winds.

Club CFI approx 50 years old and has a non-aviation related day job
FBO CFI approx 35 years old ( day job is CFI and fly's charter for the FBO

SO... is this an age related thing - does the older CFI have a higher set of
standards as me is "protecting" HIS clubs aircraft

I am just left with the feeling that he does not want me to join and this is
a mechanism to block me.

Basil

Who knows if he is blocking you? Ask him straight out. Are you trying
to keep me out of the club? What did you do wrong, explain to him that
/you/ saw nothing wrong and talk it out. This could be aircraft
related, for instance, his club wants to see landings approached in
their Archers a certain way to allow for less potential landing gear
stress.

Maybe you smelled like a donkey.

If he wants to block you, you're doomed. If they only have two slots
out of 20, then they can afford to be picky.
--
A fireside chat not with Ari!http://tr.im/holj
Motto: Live To Spooge It!

In any interview, at the end it is prudent for the person being
interviewed to ask "Do you have any concerns about recommending me?"
It's an opportunity for the (using my real life expression) "hiring
authority" to raise whatever issues might be bothering him.

It should never be presented as a challenge, always as a question
seeking information