Old May 26th 05, 01:55 PM
John Sinclair

As I recall, the ASW-24 had a climb problem until it
was discovered the ship must be flown a bit faster
while thermaling. Is this true and at what speed do
you thermal the ship?
JJ

At 02:00 26 May 2005, Udo Rumpf wrote:
In fact it is the other way around.
Is the winglets that is the key.
The 'blunting', changing the first 10% of the airfoil
in the outboard
section
of the wing was thought to improve the climb but it
turns out to be a well
designed winglet that made the difference. The factory
winglet did not
perform as well. Those in the know are changing back
to the original airfoil
as
the cruise is improved but climb does not deteriorate.
It was not the airfoil but rather the small Reynolds
numbers in the wing tip
region that caused the problem, which the winglet
corrected.
The 24 is still very competitive indeed.
I do agree with the rest of your comments.
Regards
Udo

wrote in message
roups.com...
Lee,
The ASW-24 is a great aircraft, but I'm sure you have
discovered in
your research that the 24's original airfoil was discovered
to not
perform as well as expected in rough air. There was
a relatively
simple remedy which was to 'blunt' the leading edge.
Before worrying
about the winglets I'd check to ensure that this modification
has been
done.
And to answer your question, if the avionics are top
notch and the
winglets PROPERLY installed and the finish in very
good condition, then
$45k sounds like a fair price in my opinion.
It's a beautiful aircraft.
Respectfully,

Lee Rusconi wrote:
I have an opportunity to buy a 1988 ASW-24 which is
in beautiful condition, good electronics and great
trailer. The glider is equipped with M&H winglets.
The asking price is $45,000 US. I would appreciate
any feedback regarding the winglets and/or the price.

Thanks