Old January 17th 06, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default I think I know why so many Cirrus' crash

"Gary Drescher" wrote in message
According to 91.113b, you can cut ahead of an aircraft that has right of
way
provided that you can remain "well clear". So it's not a violation of the
rules if you cut in front of a landing aircraft that's on a long enough
final.

"cjcampbell" wrote in message
ups.com...
Fine, then. I guess you don't have to see and avoid at an uncontrolled
field, is that what [you] are saying?

Um, no. Seeing and avoiding is (primarily) how you determine whether you can
cut in front of a landing aircraft yet remain well clear, thus complying
with the right-of-way rules.

Now, when someone says that they are on a 4 mile final, how often have
you seen where they were actually 4 miles out? In my experience it can
mean they are anywhere from right over the threshold to 15 miles out.

That's one reason you have to scan visually regardless of what the radio
report says. The only time you should trust the radio report more than your
visual scan is if you *don't* see the landing aircraft nearby but it reports
that it *is* so close that you should be able to see it.

--Gary