Old July 9th 03, 10:14 AM
Wayne

I agree, I like to see a nice knot. Guess that's the boater in me
though, or is it the boyscout in me. A friend of mine sold his 172 and they
had it tied down via those straps with metal buckles. All the planes were
tied to the same cable running accross the apron. One of then worked loose
enough that the "J" hook came out of one side during a storm. Went down hill
from there, plane went on it's side and the other metal hook allowed it to
slide, right into the other planes, grouped them all together and flop them
all over. A total loss on all planes tied on that cable. What a shame! Got a
picture of it somewhere, I'll see if I can locate it and provide a link. The
webbing is very strong, the buckle's can be a weak point, the "J" hooks can
slip off pretty easy.

Wayne

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Dave,

I dispensed with the rope altogether and used manufactured webbing with
hooks and a buckle (Home depot variety).

well, you might want to read Aviation Cinsumer's article on testing this
kind of stuff. Summarized best as: That kind of hardware is often the
weakest link by a huge margin.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)