Old July 22nd 03, 06:08 PM
Jay Masino

Ron Natalie wrote:
My favorite enforcement actions along these lines was the guy about a decade ago
who got the NOTAM that CGS was closed until 4PM. At 4:01 the guy heads out
and departs narrowly missing hitting the guy picking up the big X off the end of the
runway.
The moral is: No matter what the NOTAM says, the airport ain't open until the guy
removing the X gets off the runway.

That wasn't quite the correct story... I was practically at CGS
constantantly during that time (although, I wasn't there that day). The
time period was approximately when they were building the raised Metro
tracks at the departure end of 33. The person who took off supposedly
made the Metro construction workers "dive out of the way". I don't think
it had anything to do with the "X". If I remember right, there was
testimony to that effect during the enforcement hearing.

In addition, since CGS has a rule against departures after 10PM, and
before 7AM, there were always the occasional story of someone sneaking
out at 10:05, or 6:55. That's a local rule, made to smooth over the
relationship with the surrounding communities, and (of course) doesn't
involve any "X" on the runways. I don't think there are any enforcement
actions taken against those people.

-- Jay
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
http://www2.ari.net/jmasino/ ! ! !

Checkout http://www.oc-adolfos.com/
for the best Italian food in Ocean City, MD and...
Checkout http://www.brolow.com/ for authentic Blues music on Delmarva