Old April 17th 04, 11:45 PM
Ron Lee

The beginning of the article is perhaps erroneous. It alludes to
inflight "emergencies." My knowledge of the facts in these two
incidents is inadequate to properly evaluate them. However, I have
read things that bring up probing questions.

The incident that occurred over mountains was the first. I live just
east of Pikes Peak (Rockies) and for almost 16 years they have been a
barrier. I had neither the training nor the proper aircraft to "Go
West young man." Last year I took a mountain flying course to handle
the training part (RV-6A takes care of the plane). One thing they
stress is do not fly over mountains at night and yet the Cirrus pilot
reportedly did.

The other noteworthy report about this incident (again if factually
reported) is that he encountered severe turbulence. Was turbulence
forecast or to be expected? I check winds aloft forecasts and cancel
mountain excursions if beyond my comfort level. Could he not execute
a 180 degree turn and get to calmer air?

The second incident (Florida I believe) was just after a take-off
where the ceiling was 400'. I would assume that the pilot was
instrument rated (not confirmed). If not then the conclusion is
obvious. If instrument rated, what conditions would have occurred
that were not available to the pilot to cause him to be unable to
safely land mere minutes after take-off?

I know at least one person here is a fan of the CAPS. I wonder if it
is a last resort for pilot incompetence?

Ron Lee