Old October 7th 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Coordinated turns and the little ball

ktbr writes:

The answer is that it depends. It is more important to keep the
plane coordinated at slower airspeeds and/or higher load factors.

Is it possible to spot an uncoordinated turn visually, just by
watching how things move out the window, or is it only perceptible
through the movement of the aircraft?

I'm trying to figure out how hard I should try to keep the ball
centered. In the sim I can't feel any movement, so I don't know how
tightly I have to control the turn (based on what the ball says).

It is also important on climbout (high angle of attack & large P
factor) because you want the best climb capability you can get
especially with underpowered aircraft. Needless to say it is well
to keep it coordinated in cruise as well since drag is greatly
incresed thus reducing cruise efficiency.

I note that rudder can keep the turn coordinated, but changes in pitch
seem to be able to do it, too. Pulling back on the stick in a turn
not only maintains altitude, but it also seems to coordinate the turn
to some degree.

An experienced pilot can feel it when the aircraft is not
flying coordinated. If you were a passenger with a drink sitting
on a table in the back you would notice un-coordinated flight
because the liquid would not be level in the glass.

I've seen videos of pilots rolling an aircraft while pouring drinks.
I haven't tried that in the sim.