Old May 6th 17, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Blanik L-13

On Saturday, May 6, 2017 at 1:35:23 AM UTC-6, wrote:
The latest update on the Blanik America site is October 2016 but it seems hopeful:

http://home.nwi.net/~blanikam/ba/news.htm

I live in Canada where the AD&C modification is already approved but the expense of the work coupled with the 5000 hour airframe limit seems to have resulted in few L-13's being made airworthy again. A really nice, very low time L-13 might be an economically viable project though. Personally if I had the time and money to do it I probably would, just as a labor of love. I have a special place in my heart for the L-13, sorely miss flying them and it was a sad day when my club sold our last one. The L-23 we still have is a fine glider but it just doesn't have the same appeal for me.

http://www.aircraftdc.de/images/prod...002-Mar-12.pdf describes the increase to 5000hr life over the original 3750hr. It also appears to remove the 35% dual limit (which also exists for the L-23). So, amortizing the cost over the remaining life may make economic sense for L-13 with 2000hrs TTAF or less. Whether it makes financial sense is another question based on the user. The repair may be become much less attractive for those approaching 3000hrs TTAF. I've seen L-13's with three N-number shadows on the component parts, so I suspect there may be basic airframes with 2000hrs, but sporting a 4000hr wing. When first grounded I collected information on the L-13's in the US. There were about 190 on the FAA registry and possibly 90-100 that were being actively flown. At least a couple of sites had several hulks for spares, so there were several "composite" airframes out there. I'm not aware of any L-13A1's that may have been imported into the US. Those were the L-13's that LET had already modifed/replaced the root sections and extended the life to 5000hrs. Those were returned to service by EASA without the AD&C modification. I don't think the FAA considered this, but again, there may not be any in the US, so it would be moot. Unfortunately those couldn't be identified by serial number, but only buy inspecting the differential rivet pattern associated with the modification. I recall the RAFGSA did not pursue this as their L-13 fleet aged.

Frank Whiteley