Old July 26th 19, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Gibbons[_2_]

Default Ventus C, 15m vs 17.6m

On Tue, 23 Jul 2019 16:16:20 -0700 (PDT), "Mike N."
wrote:

Just curious, how is the performance of the Ventus C with 17.6m tips installed versus
standard 15m with good winglets?

I have done some searching and seen some consensus that the 16.6m tips are
typically not used much due to the performance degradation at high air speeds.
But what about the 17.6 tips?

Expected conditions would be soaring in Florida.
I also fly Utah, but not thinking I'd need the extra L/D in Utah unless on a weak day.

Also are the 17.6 tips available? What would a set of 17.6 tips cost?

Thanks,
Mike

On availability; at one time S-H offered a retrofit kit that allowed
an owner to convert the 16.6m tips to 17.6m tips. This kit was
provided with 17.6m sleeves that were bonded to the 16.6m tips (after
cutting off about 4 inches of the 16.6m tip). The kit included all
required materials, including the epoxy. Not a complex job, but it did
required careful jigging to assure proper alignment.

Details are available in TN 346-11, still available on the S-H
website. Reference is made to drawing HS8-50.307 describing how the
tip extensions are attached.

I purchased and installed this kit on my Ventus cT in the early
2000's. I doubt the kit is still available, but it would not hurt to
inquire.

I typically fly with the 17.6m tips, except in very strong conditions
with water ballast when I drop back to 15m with winglets. I just like
the way the ship looks and handles at 17.6m.

Bob