Old July 29th 19, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Ventus C, 15m vs 17.6m

I will explain what happens. When flying in the 17.6 configuration, and letting go of the rudder pedals on a straight line, every time a gust pushes the nose to one direction the nose will stay there and you are not flying coordinated any more. Need rudder input to correct. No rudder input and the nose will move from side to side randomly (fish tail). No big deal, but needs attention.
This does not happen in 15 M configuration.
I believe in later Ventuses they increased the tail.
Dan

On Sunday, July 28, 2019 at 4:38:44 PM UTC-4, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Saturday, July 27, 2019 at 8:40:41 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Longer wings are better for weaker conditions. As mentioned before, the 17.6 meter wing make the glider "fish tail" a bit in a straight line flight.
Dan

I get this in my Kestrel 19, but always considered it to be resulting from rudder flow and the lack of good sealing so the flow attaches and detaches side to side, e.g. laminar to turbulent, thus the movement.

However, you seem to describe something that happens on your Ventus that doesn't happen with in the 15m configuration, is that correct?

Frank Whiteley