Old July 27th 09, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike

Default Portable/back up transceiver

"jan olieslagers" wrote in message
Of course NiMH have better capacity, but Murphy says they'll be full
anytime anyway, except when you need them.

That's why I don't particularly like rechargeables of any type for emergency
use. A good fresh set of non-rechargeable alkalines will give you about 5
years of shelf life depending on how they are stored and lithium batteries
will last a bit longer. The manufacturers sometimes spec 10 years or more
on lithiums, but you're getting down to 50-70% of capacity at that point
which is not exactly what I'd like to be thinking about in IMC. Most of the
portable transceivers have battery pack options that allow you to use
alkaline or lithium batteries along with rechargeables. It's very nice to
have both packs so you can swap them around when you're using the
transceiver for non-emergency uses.