Old November 2nd 03, 07:19 PM
Newps

Newps wrote:

wrote:

And, at a mountain airport, until you reach MVA on departure, even the
radar controller and you are in a obstacle-clearance haze.

Mountain airport, non mountain airport it doesn't matter. There is no haze.

Well, how do you determine where the obstacles are below the MVA. Dig out a
sectional chart?

It's all laid out for the controller. Here at BIL we have some TV
antennas that are less than 3 miles from the airport, therefore we have
a vector SID. Everybody gets the SID, which tells you to climb at a
higher than normal rate until leaving a certain altitude. I issue you
that and I get to vector you where ever I want. Every other airport
with obstacles will have a similar procedure, does not matter if you are
in the mountains or not. If the airport is really closed in with
mountains the procedure just becomes more restrictive.