Old July 11th 03, 05:18 AM
Sydney Hoeltzli

PaulaJay1 wrote:

Lots of training for holds but, in 7 years, I've never had one. Sure, I do
them for practice but have never been given one by ATC. However, if the
training help spacial awareness, it's all for the good.

We've had 3 IIRC, 2 out in the boonies for the same small airport.
Go figgur. The 2nd time we were able to cancel IFR and go in to
our true destination visually.

Equally common (2) has been "just circle a few times, present
position". Frankly I hate this instruction; I can create a waypoint
anywhere I want with my GPS or hold at any DME distance off a VOR,
and I'd much prefer a hold to constant circling.

Cheers,
Sydney