Old January 7th 04, 12:36 AM
John Clear

In article wJHKb.239677$8y1.1083757@attbi_s52,
Michael 182 wrote:

And Rhinebeck, NY - never been there but I've heard it's great.

The museum and flying displays are great. The runway there is not
up to modern standards, to put it mildly. The runway has a hill
at one end, a big dip in the middle, trees all around and a gravel
road running across the middle of it. IIRC, the length is in the
1500ft range, but don't quote me on that. I've never flown in,
just watched the show from the ground.

Most of the planes that fly at Rhinebeck have no brakes, and very
slow speeds. The procedure for the show planes is to taxi up to
the top of the hill and then take off down the hill and be airborne
before the road, because that is where the runway starts up hill
again. Landings are made just after the road, with wing walkers
(runners actually) to catch the inevitable ground loops. The planes
are light enough that a wing walker grabbing a wing can keep the
plane from ground looping.

John
--
John Clear - http://www.panix.com/~jac