Old February 2nd 16, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Piet Barber

Default Winter musing - Poll on Bugs

Northern Virginia

April to November: 2-3.
November to March 0-1

While on the subject of "Bugs", my SN-10 has a setting for Bugs. Since I have a 2-seater now, the passengers almost always ask me why the flight computer has a setting for bugs.

After looking to the SN-10 manual, I found that it says 0% means no bugs (and I think that's pretty obvious), but I'm not sure what the calibration for bugs should be on the high end. If my wings look black from the crusted guts of smashed bugs, would that be 100% bugs? Would 100% bugs be merely a "fair smattering?" How does one calculate the carnage of bugs as a percentage? Is accurate bug determination for final glide where the art of soaring comes into its element?

The manual actually reads as follows on page 6:
Bugs 0% - The percent degradation of your max L/D is 0% (no bugs or rain).