Old June 12th 04, 02:53 PM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
"Paul J. Adam" writes:
In message , Peter Stickney
writes
In article ,
"Paul J. Adam" writes:
In message , Peter Stickney
writes
In article ,
WW II in Westeren Europe began on D-day Before that it was just a load of
inefffective feints

Tou'll have to ask teh French, Belgians, Dutch, Danes, adn Norweigians
about that.

Don't forget the Italians.

Well, you _could_ make a case for the Italian invasion of France,
their slight participation in the Battle of Britain (What was it,
something like 3 or so raids), and their invasion of Greece being
ineffective, but they were hardly feints.

I was more thinking of how a veteran of Monte Cassino would react to
being told that it was "a feint".

Paul, I said the _Italian_ invasions of France and Greece, in 1940-41.
Where the Italians were stopped at the border, in the case of France,
and couldn't make any headway in Greece. (And yes, fighting in the
mountains isn't easy, but you'd thenk that they'd have done better
against an opponent who was in a state of collapese (June 10, 1940, in
the case of France)

The Allied invasions of Italy were a much different matter. And
hardly feints.

Also, pretty much every Italian south of the Gothic Line was an
ex-fascist by D-Day, which isn't a bad achievement.

And there was no longer an Italian Army on the Eastern Front. That
may or may not have been a big deal to the Soviets, but it was a
not-inconsideratble number of troops.

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster