Old July 29th 11, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default The rudder waggle signal does not work

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 02:07:40 +0200, Andreas Maurer wrote:

We once had a pretty low release of a glider pilot because the towplane
crossed some turbulence that rocked its wings...

One of our instructors once told me to notice the tow plane's ailerons:
If they're using full deflection its a wing rock, so release, but if
they're not it may just be turbulence.

I guess in the end it comes down to one point: Training.

Agreed.

BTW, both wing rocking (release now) and rudder waggle (check airbrakes)
are in both the BGA Rules & Laws and the BGA Instructors manual and so
are taught uniformly throughout the UK, along with a third signal: a
glider that can't release flies out to the left as far as possible so
the tuggie can see him and rocks his wings, rolling left then right to
avoid sliding in.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK