Old July 15th 08, 01:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

Default Master cylinders

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 20:36:22 -0400, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:

In article ,
Ernest Christley wrote:

Stealth Pilot wrote:

reassemble, refill with red aviation brake fluid (actually an
automatic transmission fluid) and you will have pristine reconditioned
master cylinders.

Excellent post, Stealth, except avoid the red aviation fluid. Well, some of
the red aviation fluid. The stuff is
fairly flammable. Many designs use a hard aluminum line down to the brakes.
Overform the hard line, and aluminum will
eventually break, and possibly spew flammable brake fluid onto a hot break.
If that happens to you, you'll be damn
lucky if you have a quick thinking nephew handy with a gallon just of
anti-freeze or some such silly thing.

The airforce got tired for brake fires and had a drop-in replacement
formulated with a higher break point. If it is
good enough for the Stealth Fighter, it should be good enough for the Stealth
Pilot 8*)

8351 is the magic number the stuff is called (I think). I ordered a gallon
online for $20 or so. Enough for SEVERAL
airplanes. Big metal can. I use a sheet metal screw through a small o-ring
to seal up all the extra.

What about materials compatibility with standard O-rings? What about
toxicity and special handling requirements? Some fluids are quite toxic.

I've never heard of a fire in a light aircraft's brakes so I'll
continue using armour braided flexible lines, standard aircraft grade
o-rings and red aviation brake fluid.
it works, it has had no problems in 20 years use, so I'll keep using
it.

the tin I've got will last me about 180 years. :-)

you realise of course dont you that there are brake fluids designed
for other types of aircraft that you wouldnt want within miles of a
light aircraft. some are quite toxic.
just because it was made for the stealth fighter doesnt mean it is
even remotely suitable for use in cleveland 5.00x5 systems.

btw he hasnt replied. do you think I offerred too much for the stuffed
units he has? :-) :-) :-)
Stealth Pilot