Old April 2nd 08, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default Santa Monica Airport Bans Jet Traffic

[Default] On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 08:54:33 -0700 (PDT), "Robert M. Gary"
wrote:

I just can't imagine that this will stand.

While I would suppose the FAA has final authority over how airports
are designed, the city's action does seem to put FAA in an awkward
position of removing "safety enhancements." I know the FAA is
supposed to conduct annual airport audits. Presumably, if issues are
discovered, the airport management/owner(s) are required to correct
them, or face fines or other action.

Have you any idea of the current state of jet operations at KSMO? Are
the jets using the safety areas for operations (thus ignoring the
city's unauthorized changes), or are jets going elsewhere?