View Single Post
Old May 27th 17, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

Default Thinking about buying a DG400

On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 9:22:01 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Hi everyone

I'm thinking about buying a DG400 and I'm looking for opinions. It would be my first self launching glider and I would appreciate any advise. I've seen the market and the price range between 50.00 and 56.000€ with about 140 to 200h engine hours.

I've been reading these days a lot about the ship and I love it. The only problem that I see is the engine: it is not produced any more. What would happen if I have any problem and I couldn't find any spares? I would be useless as motorglider.

Anything you can tell me about it is welcome

Thank you!

The 400 is a great value in the high-performance motorglider sector. I owned one for over 10 years and flew it for 1500 hours. Unlike Dave, I had a steady stream of maintenance issues involving:

1. Ignition module and coil failure (I had to wind my own)
2. Prop mast mounting bolt breakage (which led to a US AD)
3. Starter motor failure (twice)
4. Carb problems (knowing how to troubleshoot is a must)
5. DEI failure
6. Uncommanded gear collapse (I added a positive gear lock)
7. Dive brake handle broke (while on takeoff roll)
8. Leaking fuel shutoff valve
9. Stuck extension motor brake

Starting 2-cycle engines is a skill in its own right; every 400 pilot seems to have his own technique. DG added a primer circuit to ease the process, but this led to its own set of problems.

You will want to join the DG Owners forum (not the DG Solo forum). You will also have to pay the DG "tax" to get support from the factory.

Motorgliders are complex aircraft with their own peculiarities. I upgraded to an ASH26e and have been very impressed (and relieved) about their significantly better reliability as compared to the DG808, but they are not w/o their issues, too. DGs (both the 400s and 800s) are burdened by less than adequate battery capacity. This is why Dave emphasized getting a solar panel. The 26e is far superior in this regard, but it is 2x to 3x the price.

I assume that you are a seasoned high-performance glider pilot. If not I would suggest getting that experience first in a pure glider. Getting dual instruction in a self-launching MG is problematic.

Good luck!

Tom