Old June 4th 08, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

Default Jeppessen software (ie. JeppView?) and vmware (or perhapsalternatives)

I'm getting tired of paper revisions. At work, I tease those that
actually still use paper when there's a better alternative. And here I
am still using paper when there's a better alternative.

However, I've no machine running a Microsoft environment directly, and
this seems to be the target of choice for Jeppessen still. The closest I
get are machines running Apple and Linux environments which have one or
another Microsoft environment running under VMWare.

I never did get the JPI software working under this; it seems to want to
talk to the hardware directly, even if I'm just trying to analyze a
previously downloaded data dump from the engine monitor. So something
that should logically work doesn't (thanks to the programmers involved).

But what about JeppView? Has anyone tried running it under VMWare?
Success? Failure?

Also, what about alternatives? Although network access is growing more
ubiquitous, I'm still uncomfortable and requiring access to get a chart
or two.

Suggestions?

Thanks...

Andrew