Old December 2nd 05, 12:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default An Icy Commute

Michael,
I was about 20 miles from home when I noticed the precip and about 15
when I started descending. Normally at this point I am dropped by ATC
since i am clear of the ADIZ. I opted to stay with them. I had several
airport around me to land and a couple behind me if necessary. The rain
was light so the ice was not accumulating too quickly. I was not
seriously worried yet, but I was getting there. I have been in a
situation where I accumulated an inch of ice on the airframe in 5
minutes during an approach. We went missed and made a slow painful climb
on top. It took about 45 minutes to get rid of that amount of ice.
Michelle

Michael Ware wrote:

Wow, glad you made it down OK. How far from your destination airport were
you (miles/minutes) when you first noticed the ice? Would you have had any
good options if it really had been accumulating?