Old December 27th 19, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default FAI ratifies records of illegal flights.

On Thursday, December 26, 2019 at 7:15:07 PM UTC-8, Tom BravoMike wrote:

You can legally fly a glider after sunset IF it is equipped with navigational lights. A friend of mine did exactly that. So, unless you KNOW the glider DIDN'T have nav lights, you can't say DEFINITIVELY that the flight was illegal.

Tom

Correct. I'm among the few lucky glider pilots with night flights endorsement. Three flights (patterns) with an instructor, three solo, the last one midnight to 12:08 AM. Didn't see the tow plane, just its navigation lights.. The runway was a black hole, couldn't see it, but it was marked ny a row of tourist propane lamps, including the landing position. All practically spot landings, unforgettable. I know, it's off topic, great experience anyway.

That sounds as interesting as doing night auto-rotations in the rain.