Old December 27th 19, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Default FAI ratifies records of illegal flights.

On Friday, December 27, 2019 at 12:17:25 PM UTC-5, Roy B. wrote:
if you claim a record you have to sign the following statement:

I certify that this flight was conducted in accordance with the FAI
Sporting Code and with (1) all operating
limitations established by the aircraft manufacturer, (2) any more
restrictive operating limitations
imposed by national airworthiness regulations of the civil aviation
authority of the country of registration,
and (3) airspace regulations where the flight took place.
Signature of pilot

Jan:
While the contrary position is certainly reasonable, if I was the OO or the pilot here I would have confidence that a 2-3 minute late landing was neither an "operating limitation" nor an "airspace regulation" violation. I would sign the certification for that new record. I read items 1 and 2 as relating to the problem of flying overweight or similar matters, and #3 as relating to delineated controlled airspace violations. If the FAI wanted a certification that "all applicable flight regulations" were complied with - they would know how to write that, and they did not write that.
ROY

The 2017 SC3 is worded differently.

4.4.2.a. says...

"For all claims the pilot must certify that the flight was conducted in accordance with the Code, was flown in compliance with all the glider manufacturer’s and national operating limitations, and in accordance with national flight regulations (airspace use, night flight, etc.)."

If I'd flown that flight, I'd have not submitted a record claim. I would not have signed off as an OO and I darned sure would not have ratified the record as a record keeper. And I'm only half German, lol. The flight is not diminished in any way, it's just another amusing story to tell.

The pilot that can fly 1250 km doesn't do so by accident. Do it again, do it correctly in all respects, get the record without fudging anything, have an even better story to tell and *another* wonderful flight.

Bless those fussy full blooded Germans, long may they continue to build such beautiful and capable flying machines. Bless the nitpickers, may they find jobs in QC working for our favorite manufacturers of flying machines of all types.

T8