Old June 28th 08, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
stol

Default alternate engine in Falco

On Jun 26, 10:30*pm, Jonny wrote:
There are many aircraft that allow for a variety of engines. Some
engine makers even supply cowling/nose bowl kits for popular types
(Rans, Vans) etc.

So, what do you think of using a Jabiru 5100 (8 cyl) in a Falco in
place of the Lycoming io-360?

Jabiru is narrower and less tall, but is a few inches longer (but
might fit in an unmodified cowling given the different mount design).
Similar power, lighter weight.

I have heard the guys at Sequoia are a bit sensitive about even basic
unseen mods, but what do you guys think?

One other thing to think about is the Jabiru 5100 makes its peak power
at 3300 rpms.. That will drastically reduce the diameter of your
prop to keep the tips from going supersonic.Don't get me wrong, I am a
machinist and that motor is a work of art from the machining
standpoint. A fellow Zenith 801 guy installed the 8 cyl Jabiru and he
didn't factor in the loss of prop diameter, A very needed thing in a
slow flying STOL plane. He still hasn't flown his creation yet but the
numbers say @ 2700 rpms, with a 76" dia prop the Motor will be making
somewhere in the low 140 HP range. I my opinion not enough power for
an 801. If the Sequoia can handle a small diameter prop then this
might be a perfect marriage. PS, I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn
express last night either. :)

Ben
www.haaspowerair.com