Old December 21st 16, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

Default How to get maximum height on a winch launch?

On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 16:59:34 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

If you know how to fly you can have exactly the airspeed you want all the way up the launch.

The winch does not and, in fact, cannot control glider airspeed. The pilot is the only one who can do that. The winch merely controls power (think thrust). It works exactly as with airplanes, pitch controls airspeed and power (thrust) controls rate of climb. The pilot merely adjusts pitch attitude as necessary to maintain the desired airspeed.

Reduce winch power and the rate of climb (angle) decreases but the airspeed is unchanged. Reduce it all the way to zero and the glider is left in a glide at the desired airspeed. Increase power and the rate of climb (angle) increases but the airspeed stays the same. Increase it too much and the weak link breaks - at exactly the desired airspeed - or the glider runs out of up elevator and the pilot must then ask for less power.

It's really very simple.

Hi Bill,

unfortunately it's not that simple. Your description does not even
remotely match the experiences I made I made in the last couple of
thousand winch launches.

Best regards
Andreas