Old August 28th 18, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Default Rudder system failure

On Tuesday, August 28, 2018 at 9:32:18 AM UTC-7, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Dave
I'm not 100% sure but I think both accidents were caused by a rudder cable coming apart and then the springs in the system pins the rudder hard over.
In most gliders when this occurs I don't the pilot can correct the rudder hard over situation.

In single-seat gliders this is probably the case. In two-seaters there is another set of pedals.
Seems that most rudder cable failures have been at the S-tube of the front seat (or only seat) rudder pedals. If there's another occupied seat, the other set of pedals should still be working but with more resistance on one side.
Funny... James posted at the same time as Nick answered his question.
Jim