Old September 2nd 19, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default Purchase of glider from Canada

On Monday, September 2, 2019 at 9:06:48 AM UTC-7, George Haeh wrote:
Canadian banks look askance at US cashier's checks and will often hold funds for some weeks. A bank to bank transfer can be done.

Some of the new online services make it very easy, and low cost too. I use TransferWise to scoot money around between my own USA, New Zealand, and Russian bank accounts frequently. They do the currency exchange at exactly the same up to the minute midrate you see on google (e.g. "30000 cad in usd") and their fee for the actual transfer to someone's bank account is typically half a percent.

I just tried the above example and getting exactly CAD$30000 to someone needs US$22633.91 at a 1.33285 exchange rate and $125.75 fee.

The fee might look smaller if you get a cashier's check at a bank, but would expect that to be more than lost in the worse exchange rate.