Old July 12th 18, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hartley Falbaum[_2_]

Default Cobra Trailer Bearings

On Monday, July 9, 2018 at 8:51:27 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I screwed up big time and burned the bearings on both wheels by leaving the brake on (I know, I'm getting forgetful). Wings and Wheels is out of the ALCO 1637 bearing sets and will not get any until mid August. Does anyone have two of these bearing sets? I need them early next week so that I can go to Mackay,ID for some of the best soaring ever.

If anyone can help me out, please contact me at .

Stu Larimore
2Z
208-724-0587

A word of warning----Experience from a 2000 Cobra with a new '27B in it, and a Cobra with a DG800B in it. The 4 Bolt hub for the '27, and the 5 Bolt hub for the DG have different size bearings. They are sealed, double row bearings, used in front wheel drive small car front wheels. They must be pressed out with an "industrial" grade press.
The instructions as posted by JS are totally wrong (I have a different Cobra manual) and are not applicable to these straight cylindrical bearings. The instructions apply to the classic tapered roller bearings as found on most trailers. For these straight cylindrical bearings, a flange nut is used and tightened to 225 ftlb of torque. Loctite is recommended. A half-inch drive socket, Breaker bar, and 4 ft cheater is needed to remove the nut, especially if Loctite has been used.
The bearing size is laser engraved on the bearing and a NAPA or good auto machine shop can cross reference.
I keep a spare set of bearings in my trailer, and one drum with new bearing also.