Old April 28th 06, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Best US Soaring Weather

If you have to stay in one place, it's hard to beat California City,
Estrella or Minden for good year-round conditions. Tehachapi has more
amenities than Cal City, but the day tends to start a bit later. An
FBO or club with year-round towing is an important consideration. For
me, hangar availability would also score points.

When I was (much) younger, I used to follow the snow from upstate NY to
VT and on to UT in late spring, staying in youth hostels, unguarded
college dorms and the like. Gliders are a bit harder to transport than
skis, unfortunately, and I'm now partial to a certain level of
familiarity and comfort in my living arrangements, but with an RV of
sufficient size, it might be possible to have the best of it. Owning
gliders (or at least shares) in multiple hemispheres would be another
neat solution. Off to buy a winning lottery ticket.....

Ray Warshaw