Old July 27th 03, 09:47 AM
Kirk Stant

"Bill Daniels" wrote in message

The thermal entry stall/spin only requires that the pilot hold into-the-turn
rudder a second or two longer than needed while trying to reduce airspeed
still further. In most cases, this is a full cross-controlled accelerated
stall from a 45 degree bank - wheee! (I've caught some high time pilots
with this one.)

Bill Daniels

Interesting exercise. Also sounds like a good way to teach
low-G/low-AOA affects on stall speeds. I can see how it would work
well in something like a Blanik, with a huge elevator. How do
competition ships with small elevators react? I'll have to try with
my LS6, but I have the feeling that the elevator is not powerful
enough to keep the nose from falling through and causing a stall/spin.

On the other hand, in the same nose high/close to stall speed
situation, the LS6 (and any other glider, I'm sure) reacts perfectly
well to an unloaded (low-G) roll in the direction of the intended
turn, followed by an easy nose down acceleration to a safe speed
before pulling on the G necessary for the turn. Not a recommended
normal thermal entry by any means, but a way to recover from a
botched, overenthusiastic zoom-in.

The obvious key is the G (or AOA) versus airspeed relationship.
Trying to turn when the airspeed is down in the teens would show that
the pilot has a certain lack of situational awareness!

Kirk
66