Old August 3rd 18, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

Default trying to understand Wings program

On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 3:11:45 PM UTC-7, CindyB wrote:
On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 2:47:51 PM UTC-7, SoaringXCellence wrote:
OK, I have to jump in here; The wings program is a continuing education program for pilots. It's not intended to be a one-day process, unlike the Flight Review.

From the website:

"Note that completion of any Phase of WINGS satisfies the requirement for a flight review. So not only will you complete a review of the most common weak areas that have led others to the accident site, but you end up with a flight review, as well! "

Mike did a good job of pointing you in the right direction.
If you need a pictograph to interpret, this link might help.

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/noti...INGS_Chart.pdf

Three knowledge items ( perhaps SSA webinars) and
Three flying items (verified to the FAAST webpage by your CFIG),
will get you a Basic Level Wings Phase compliance and an 'extension' of
a flight review requirement.
A single launch with a CFIG who wishes to make you 'do stuff' and then is willing to log it into the FAA portal -- COULD -- get you done in a single flight. You would have to talk about and do preflight duties, launch emergencies, thermalling , slow flight and stalls, steep turns,landings. Maybe talk about airport runway/taxiway markings and TFRs..... simple stuff.

Good to review those topics anyway.
Hope this helps you unravel it, Steve (and others).
I am happy to validate the instructional time I spend for any pilot
into the Wings program. If a CFIG needs a helping hand to figure it out,
message me directly.

Melting in summer....
Cindy B

Thank you Mike and Cindy. I received a very nice reply off-line as well, so I think I've got the basic idea now. I did enroll in the program.