Old August 8th 07, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.aviation.soaring

Default Electrically Powered Ultralight Aircraft

On Aug 7, 3:49 pm, "Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net
On Aug 7, 3:04 pm, "Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net
wrote:
Larry Dighera wrote:
On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 14:51:55 -0500, "Gig 601XL Builder"
wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in
:

all this talk of electric airplanes while a nice thought is
something that at best is way in the future.

That's only true if you overlook Randall Fishman's electrically
powered ultralight (http://www.electraflyer.com) and Mr. Monnett's
Sonex proof-of-concept Waiex aircraft
(http://www.sonexaircraft.com/press/r...r_072407.html).

But, I know, you were referring to electrically powered aircraft
with the same utility as today's GA aircraft, right?

Right. When the electric Sonex can do the same thing the VW powered
Sonex can do then it will become something more than an interesting
idea.

I have not seen any significant flight duration claim on the Sonex,
which speaks well for the design team.

I really hate to burst your bubble but, from the Sonex link above.

"Initial top speeds will reach approximately 130 mph, and endurance is
expected to range between 25-45 minutes or longer, depending upon power
usage on each individual flight."- Hide quoted text -

I also read that but "Expected to be" isn't a claim and 45 minutes is
not what I would call significant duration.